Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale - Book Review


My second grader is not a very confident reader.  She is very good at reading, but words and letters sometimes get jumbled up in her mind.  So, I am always on the look out for books that she will enjoy.  She is not quite ready to read longer chapter books because those are "scary" to her.  So this book seemed to fit the bill - longer reading sections, with lots of pictures, and short chapters to break it up.

Final verdict:  success!  She loved reading this book.  She loved it so much that she read the whole book in one night.  She then proceeded to read it out loud to me over the course of a week or so.  She loved Princess Magnolia and the Big Blue Monster.  We both loved the adorable illustrations - which had a fun vintage feel to them.  I also loved that a princess could be the super hero and save the day - what a great message for our young ladies!

All in all I would give this book and story 4 out of 5 stars!
And I hope that Shannon Hale writes more Black Princess adventures - we will read them all.  :)

Recommended for:  Kindergarten - 2nd grade
Reading level:  1st and 2nd grade

(I was not asked to write this review - I am just reviewing this because my daughter loved the book so much, and I wanted to share our experience with other families out there.)

Buy it here on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment