Friday, February 6, 2015

History Week - Kindergarten - Unit 13 - A Nation Grows Up - Paul Bunyan Activities

Johnny Appleseed, Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea, Paul Bunyan, Babe the Blue Ox, and Sequoyah.  These were the amazing individuals we learned about in Unit 13 - for Kindergarten History!  It was a fun week this week - talking about going west, and those amazing pioneers who came before us.

Here is what we did:




 For Johnny Appleseed we pretended to plant apples.  We used the Hi-Ho Cherry Oh game.  I was so tired this week that I didn't dig out the soil - but maybe next time with my next Kinder!  My Kinder student also walked around with bare feet and a pan on his head.  We also watched the Disney version of Johnny Appleseed.

My Kinder does not like coloring.  Gets it done as quick as he can!


I found a coloring print out featuring Lewis and Clark, and Sacagawea online.  We looked at a map and traced where the expedition went and what they saw.



Paul Bunyan and Babe the Ox was my favorite lesson!  I found these adorable toilet paper roll projects online.  Links are below.  So after we did the lesson we made our own Babe and Bunyan.  I also found an really fun link to a Paul Bunyan puzzle - which my Kinder student loved!


Paul Bunyan Toilet Paper Roll Activity

Babe the Big Blue Ox Toilet Paper Roll Activity

Paul Bunyan Puzzle Activity

For Sequoyah my student colored the activity sheet - all red.  I didn't get a picture of it!  I couldn't think of what kind of activity we could do to re-inforce this lesson.  Anyone else have trouble with this one?  Can anyone give me any online activities or ideas for next time?  What did you all do for this lesson?  Sound off in the comments!

Hope you found this unit as fun as we did!  

No comments:

Post a Comment