Saturday, February 20, 2016

The House of the Scorpion / The Lord of Opium

What an exciting day today!  For my outfit post I went with one of my favorite series of books by Nancy Farmer:  The House of the Scorpion and The Lord of Opium. 

The Lord of Opium has a poppy on the cover - which just so happens to go along with the poppys on my skirt.

It just so happens that for February it has been unseasonably warm.  We're talkin'  50's and 60's warm... not only is that odd for our neck of the woods, but what makes it even more strange is the fact that the rest of our state - and even the rest of the nation - has been experiencing blizzards of 2-3 feet and plummeting temperatures.  Hmmm.  Very strange.  Very, very strange....

All this warm weather has made it feel like spring is in the air.  And I must confess, that air has kept us busy with riding bikes, and trampolines, and no time for blogging! 

Thinking of spring, I decided I had to wear my poppy skirt.  We also live in an agriculture town, and so fields of food and plenty abound around our old homestead house.   Right now, of course, they lay dormant, but I thought what better place than a field to show off a skirt that shows plant life?  Dreams of poppy fields filled my head.  I added a white button down blouse, and heels in orange.  I also put on my multi color beaded necklace and my orange and blue stretch bracelets.

After my fun field photo shoot, my hubby decided to take us down to the river and teach us how to pan for gold.  While it was a lot of fun, it wasn't very successful, although I did find a minuscule, (like you need a magnifying glass) speck of gold on my first pan!  So, that was rather exciting. 

My books for this post are:  The House of the Scorpion.  A story of a boy - who's father is the ruler of The Land of Opium - who discovers he is his father's clone.  Then, his father unexpectedly dies, leaving him running for his life.  The first book talks about how he escapes this life, makes friends, and becomes a strong individual in his own right. 

Fast forward 15 years.  Finally, a second book!  This new book :  The Lord of Opium stands on it's own two feet.  He has to now go back to Opium and become the Lord of Opium.  But will he make the same mistakes as his father?  Or will he become a new kind of ruler?  And who can he really trust?

Two of my favorite books of all time.  I highly recommend them!   5 stars!*****

Outfit details:
Blouse:  Old
Skirt: Chicwish
Shoes: ModCloth
Necklace:  eBay
Earrings:  Gift
Orange spike bracelet:  Gift
Blue bracelet:  Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment