Monday, January 26, 2015

Cotton Ball Birds / Chickadees in a Nest and Tree - Bird Craft Project

Hey thanks!  A shout out to my mom who did this adorable project with my chickadees today!  She is such a great grama and is always on the look out for cute craft ideas to share.  This craft project is fun and simple.  It also easily entertains from 9 years down to 3 years.  My youngest just watched and tried to eat the cotton balls.  (We didn't let her, of course!)


The supplies:  
Yarn in nest colors if you wish.  We used browns and white.
Cotton balls!  
Glue.
Great Googly Moogly - Googly Eyes!
Sturdy colored paper - in any color for the background
Orange colored paper for beaks.


Step #1:  Cut about a yard of yarn for each nest.  Then cut the yarn into "sticks."


Step #2:  Place glue on your paper where you want your nest.  Start adding the "sticks."  If you need to, add more glue!  Or cut more yarn for a bigger nest!


Step #3:  Add cotton balls for each of your little birds you want in your nest.  I decided to do five - since I have five chickadees!


Step #4:  Add another cotton ball on top to make a bigger chick if you have gotten the regular size cotton balls.  If you get large cotton balls, maybe one will do.  Be sure to fluff them out a little bit to make it appear more fluffy.


Step #5:  Add those adorable googly eyes!


Look at those little peepers!


Step #6:  Cut out triangles from your orange paper to make beaks.  Bend them slightly in the center.


Step #7:  Add them to your little chickadees. 


Step #8:  Draw a tree if you wish to add cute detail to your project.  And here are my five little googly owlets.  My five chickadees.  Aww... aren't they cute?  And of course - my chickadee's artwork... DRUM ROLL PLEASE!


My oldest added antennas.  He is 9.


My second oldest drew a tree branch.   She did the five siblings as well.  She is 7.


My five year old added four cotton balls all together with three beaks, and three googly eyes.  I called his bird Sir Lumpy.  


And last, and possibly my favorite, my three year old added the entire package of cotton balls!  A nice yarn nest is in the middle with two little chickadees... I think.... lol - this one just brings a smile to my face!

Well, there you have it!  Have fun with this one - and let your kids have fun doing it how they want!

Have a Hats and Chickadees day!

No comments:

Post a Comment