Saturday, May 21, 2016

As The Waltz Was Ending

I felt like a ballerina is this tulle skirt, so I went with this older book called As the Waltz Was Ending as my inspiration. 

This book was published in 1982.  I read it when I was in the upper elementary years.  I was obsessed with all things WWII - and this book added more drama, with dancing set as a plot point as well.  It wasn't until the very end of the book when I read that this is actually a true story.  Emmy in the story - is Emma Butterworth the author.  This brought on a whole new meaning for me! 

This story is of Emmy, who lives in a world of dance.  That all changes when Vienna is engulfed by war.  Music is gone in exchange for gun shots, and marching feet.  Their is nothing Emmy can do except try and survive, with music helping her escape.

This book does talk about rape at the end of the story.  She doesn't go into great detail about it.  It also discusses murders happening right in front of her.  So, I would recommend this book for older children, ones who really know that horrific things happened in this war.  4**** Stars. 

Outfit details:
Shirt: Old
Skirt: ModCloth
Necklace: ModCloth
Shoes: Newport News

No comments:

Post a Comment