Monday, May 27, 2013

How to Get the Kids to Eat Their Veggies....

I don't know.  Don't ask me!

I struggle getting my kids to eat fruit and vegetables.  I really do try hard to make well balanced diets for them.  They just refuse to eat it.  I have tried the "let them make it, then they will eat it" bit.  No, no they don't.  They still know they don't like it and they don't want to eat it whether they make it or not.

I never wanted to resort to trickery, so I have had to resort to ingenuity instead.  I found this yummy recipe on the Rachael Ray Show.  I have tweaked it just a little so it isn't spicy and the kids will eat it.

Behold the yummy kid approved Cauliflower Mac and Cheese with Bacon.  (This rates as a favorite 6/6 in our family.)

Cauliflower Mac and Cheese with Bacon
Olive Oil
Pre-cooked Bacon
Head of Cauliflower - trimmed and cut into florets
Salt and Pepper
4 TBSP butter
3 TBSP Flour
3 CUPS Milk
Nutmeg (to taste)
1/2 Pound Macaroni Noodles
3 Cups shredded Colby/Monterey Jack Cheese
Parsley (to sprinkle)

Boil a large pot of water
Meanwhile heat a drizzle of Olive Oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add bacon and crisp for 1-2 minutes.  Drain into a paper towel-lined bowl.
Cook cauliflower florets for 5 minutes.  Remove with a strainer and put into a colander.  Replace the pot on the heat and cook pasta noodles.  Cook noodles for 9-10 minutes.
Meanwhile in a medium sized pot melt butter and whisk in flour.  Cook 1 minute then whisk in milk and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  It takes about 10 minutes to thicken.  Whisk every  minute or so.  When it is thickened add the cheese.  Whisk to combine.  Then add the bacon to the cheese sauce.
Drain pasta over the cauliflower to reheat - place pasta and florets in a baking dish - pour the cheese/bacon sauce on top.  Top with parsley (I used the dry bottled kind and just add to taste.).
Place under a broiler to brown the top (500 degrees for only about 5 minutes or so.)

Yes, your kids will eat their cauliflower.  :)
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese w/ Bacon...
I was in a hurry and forgot to put the parsley on before
I took the picture.  Oops.  Please forgive my error.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment